Common Land
Home Up

 

 

john_wilson.JPG (13312 bytes)
Standard Barer John Wilson

In 1113 David the First granted Selkirk it's Common Land, although it is not known why this should have been so. During the period of 1315 - 1536 this Common Land was enlarged to some 11000 acres and in today's terms this land would be worth some 300 million! Rare in Western Europe and uniquely in Scotland, this land has been retained, although at the price of many a local feud and in some circumstances loss of life. The Common Land was patrolled at least once a year to ensure that the town’s boundary markers had not been moved or the land grazed upon by the flocks of the adjoining private landowners. This forms the basis of the Selkirk Common Riding.